The “Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act,” commonly referred to as the “Clery Act,” is a federal law that requires institutions of higher education in the United States to disclose campus security information, including crime statistics for the campus and surrounding areas.
Who is Jeanne Clery?
Annual Security Report
Campus Security Authorities
In order to ensure all criminal activity is disclosed, the Clery Act requires UNTv9bet to identify individuals and organizations to which crimes may be reported as a result of their position with UNTv9bet. These individuals and organizations are called Campus Security Authorities (CSAs).
Who is considered a UNTv9bet CSA?
- Members of the UNTv9bet Police Department
- Individuals who have responsibility for campus security but are not members of the UNTv9bet Police Department. An example would be an individual that monitors the entrances into buildings and property or acts as event security.
- An individual or organization specified by the UNTv9bet’s statement of campus security policy as someone that students should report criminal offenses.
- Individuals who have a significant responsibility for student and campus activities, including but not limited to, student discipline, and campus judicial proceedings
Who is not considered a CSA?
- A faculty member who does not have any responsibility for students and campus activity beyond the classroom.
- Clerical staff; facilities or maintenance staff.
- Any support position that does not have significant responsibility for students and campus activities.
Reporting a Crime
CSAs are required to immediately notify the UNTv9bet Police of alleged crimes reported to them. These reports will be used by UNTv9bet to:
- Fulfill its responsibility to annually disclose Clery crime statistics;
- To issue timely warnings for Clery crimes that pose a threat to the campus community; and
- To enter information in the Daily Crime Log.
The following information should be obtained from anyone reporting a crime to a CSA. The answers to these questions can provide valuable information that will assist in the criminal investigation, annual reporting requirements, and the issuance of a timely warning to the UNTv9bet community if appropriate.
- Who was involved?
- What occurred?
- Where did it occur?
- When did it occur?
- How did it occur?
Clery Crime Definitions
Any Clery crime listed below that is reported to a CSA must immediately be reported to the UNTv9bet Police Department.
Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act (VAWA) Offenses
Arrests and Referrals for Disciplinary Action
Hate Crimes (Crimes within the Criminal Offenses Category plus crimes listed below)
Clery Crimes that occur in the Clery geography below are required to be reported:
- On Campus: Property owned or controlled by UNTv9bet that is reasonably contiguous to one another and directly supports or relates to UNTv9bet’s education purpose.
- Public Property: All public property that is within the same reasonably contiguous area, such as sidewalks, streets, thoroughfares, or parking, and is adjacent to UNTv9bet owned or controlled properties.
- Non-campus: Buildings or property owned or controlled by UNTv9bet or a recognized student organization that is frequently used by students for educational purposes and is not within the same reasonably contiguous area.
Report a Crime
Important Notice: The online report is solely for including the information in the university’s annual crime statistics in accordance with Clery Act requirements. Campus crime statistics are published each fall semester in the university’s Annual Security Report. The online report should not be used to make a police report, report a crime in progress, or report any crime that poses a continuing or immediate threat to the campus community.
If there is an immediate risk to life, safety, or property, contact UNTv9bet Police Department at (817) 735-2210 (non-emergency) or (817) 735-2600 (emergency).
Which institutions must comply with the Clery Act?
Do university officials other than law enforcement have reporting obligations under the Clery Act?
Does someone have to be convicted of a crime before it is reportable under the Clery Act?
What does UNTv9bet have to disclose under the Clery Act?
What are the penalties for not complying with the Clery Act? Who Enforces it?
Clery Act Questions and Contact
Dr. Emily Mire, Executive Director, Student & Academic Success