HSC Financial Aid Work Study

What is work-study?

In the Federal Work-study program (FWS), you work part-time to cover any of the associated costs of your educational expenses. Not only does this program help you cover your expenses, in some cases, work-study can open the door to professional experiences and networking opportunities.聽

How do I apply?

Filling out the聽 (FAFSA) is the first step if you want to apply for work-study. Students must be a U.S. Citizen, or a permanent/conditional resident to be eligible. FWS is a need-based program since it is partially funded by the federal government, so that is why聽 a FAFSA is required. HSC does not automatically include FWS in your financial aid awards.聽 You can view the list of available “Work Study Jobs for Students” below. Most potential employers request you contact our office to see if you’re eligible for FWS prior to applying for any open position(s). You may contact our office at finaid@unthsc.edu or via Live Chat to check your eligibility, or if you have any additional questions about the FWS program.

How does the program work?

Work-study positions are hourly-wage jobs in which a student works for an employer according to a mutually agreed-upon schedule. If you are enrolled in the work-study program you can expect to be paid twice a month. Wages vary, but you will earn at least the current minimum wage.

If you are eligible for FWS and secure employment, then the HSC Financial Aid Office will account for FWS in your financial aid awards. Students will have to go through the HR hiring process, and submit required documentation before they can work. Students may work up to 19 hours a week to earn up to the full amount of your FWS award.聽 You will be paid twice monthly for the actual hours worked.聽 The amount indicated on your Award Letter is the maximum eligibility to earn, and FWS awards does not credit to your student account like other financial aid.

Working during Scheduled Class Time Is Prohibited

In general, students are not permitted to聽work in FWS positions during scheduled聽class times. Exceptions are permitted if an聽individual class is cancelled, if the instructor聽has excused the student from attending for聽a particular day, and if the student is聽receiving credit for employment in an聽internship, externship, or community work study聽experience. Any such exemptions聽must be documented.